Saturday, November 14, 2009

Remembering Grandpa
















Grandpa was endless... I don't know how long it will take me to realize he passed away on October 18th. I didn't get any pictures of all the family getting together to honor him or Mom and Carol's reading of his autobiography. I will always remember the moment I learned how frustrating his blond curls were to him and how much he enjoyed passing them on to a great-granddaughter - a girl who could show off the beautiful menace. I think Trinity is just as frustrated with her hair, honestly. I hadn't noticed 'til after the funeral how she eats and uses scissors with her left hand. Maybe she inherited more than we know from Grandpa!
I know I grew up feeling like a celebrity. Grandpa was king of the grocery world in Scappoose and I was oldest granddaughter, working at his store, daughter of his oldest daughter. I carried the weight of being known by people I didn't know. I think I was more shy for it instead of claiming any birthright, but Grandpa's family isn't into public speaking and stuff like that, so I don't think they noticed.
Grandpa was timeless to me - always standing tall and strong. That's how I remember him.

No comments: