Saturday, December 12, 2009

First BAND Concert!

What an experience! There are 52 members in the 5th grade band at Damascus Middle School. 52 first-time players of a lot of different instruments. 52 members of families - all of whom needed to come and support their budding artists. Needless to say, the bleachers were full to bursting, the chairs on the gym floor were packed out and the surrounding space was standing room only, 5 cheerleaders thick.


We found an open space behind the band on the edge of the stage right next to the screen with all the announcements. We had to be on our best behavior, which was no problem for the first 4 numbers. We did pretty good for the second band set of 4. We even did tolerably well for the 3rd band set of 4. But the Jazz band ended the evening and by then my crew was wiggling right off the stage and sprawling on the gym floor. I had to clarify that spinning around on your back was not band concert behavior - nor was banging or stomping or dancing along to the music. (Trinity is a good dancer.)











I might have gotten more pictures of the actual experience, but I'm shy when I feel in the spotlight, and with my wiggly dancers, I really felt like entertainment-central. I don't think we'll forget.... there's only ONCE that our 5th grader plays in his very first concert. This was a once-in-a-lifetime event. A fact we can live with.
And as for our budding artist? HE WAS AWESOME!

No comments: